Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Quick GW round-up

The 'Brief Encounter' bit in in Ep 8 I'm guessing was written by Fay and/or Ori? (nope - see UPDATE below.) I'm ashamed to say I completely missed the reference, never having seen the film, and was wondering why Caroline suddenly started spouting rather melodramatic lines that didn't seem to fit with the rest of it. D'oh!

Current rumour is that the DVD of series 2 will be out in September/October*. Episode 9 (actually a feature-length episode, which should provide a spot of closure for the whole enchilada) should be going out around christmas time. I'm guessing it will come out on a separate DVD, maybe sometime around March/April next year? Last bit just a guess.

No current plans for a series 3. Partly because of the difficulty of getting all those actors back for the same period of time, and partly because the nature of GW gives it a limited lifespan anyway. Series 2 was much plottier than 1, for example, and the exaggerated plotlines means there's only so much further you can go before descending into bathos. Don't rule out any combination of crew/cast working together on other projects though - who knows what the future will bring?**


* Although I've got this sort of thing very wrong before.

** Prophets, soothsayers, and Doctors Who, I suppose, thinking about it.

UPDATE: in comments below rob said...

The Brief Encounter reference was mine, and was a somewhat controversial inclusion. Victoria was dead set against Tamsin having any hint of a clipped Celia Johnson accent, with the result that you now have to know the film extremely well to spot what's going on. Despite the associated visuals, which a lot of people recognise straight away, the melodramatic words are not enough to make the connection. So I agree with you, it ends up sounding rather bizarre.

It should be clear that Caroline isn't talking directly to Guy, but musing out loud, as a wry acknowledgement of the parallels she sees between her love triangle being played out on a steamy platform and the scene in Brief Encounter (of which she's likely to be a fan, given her fondness for trains and romance).

A touch of accent would have put that line into inverted commas, and suddenly even those who'd never heard of Brief Encounter might at least have worked out what she was doing.

On the other hand, it must have been very satisfying for the first person to spot it. Perhaps there could be an award at the convention.

As for the significance of the words in the long run....
... well, we'll just have to wait 7 months to find out, won't we?


24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazon.co.uk gives a release date of September 3rd and Play.com says October 23rd.
Hmm.

"* Although I've got this sort of thing very wrong before."

It seems you're not the only one.

Nice blog :)

I'm having a very productive day at work reading through it.

Anonymous said...

The Brief Encounter reference was mine, and was a somewhat controversial inclusion. Victoria was dead set against Tamsin having any hint of a clipped Celia Johnson accent, with the result that you now have to know the film extremely well to spot what's going on. Despite the associated visuals, which a lot of people recognise straight away, the melodramatic words are not enough to make the connection. So I agree with you, it ends up sounding rather bizarre.

It should be clear that Caroline isn't talking directly to Guy, but musing out loud, as a wry acknowledgement of the parallels she sees between her love triangle being played out on a steamy platform and the scene in Brief Encounter (of which she's likely to be a fan, given her fondness for trains and romance).

A touch of accent would have put that line into inverted commas, and suddenly even those who'd never heard of Brief Encounter might at least have worked out what she was doing.

On the other hand, it must have been very satisfying for the first person to spot it. Perhaps there could be an award at the convention.

As for the significance of the words in the long run....
... well, we'll just have to wait 7 months to find out, won't we?

Anonymous said...

Glad I'm not the only one to have missed the "Brief Encounter" reference. Whew! And likewise "D'oh!"

Looking forward to feature-length episode at Christmas, but am pleased that there seem to be no plans for a third series - that's why "Spaced" remains one of the most brilliant comic creations of recent times - they knew when to call a halt. An all-loose-ends-tied-up episode is a much, much better idea than another 9 episodes. Not that I haven't LOVED both series, but that's what DVDs are for, isn't it?

P.S Doctors Who - respect!

Anonymous said...

First time of watching it I was a little worse for the shoddy wine substitute so that's my excuse. Though my semi-concious flatmate spotted it straight away
I loved the steam coming from the cleaning machine though.

Anonymous said...

I asked my colleague about release dates for gw 2 this morning and we got confused about why it was being released in oct and not jan after xmas special. How naive r we - obviusly a big money making ploy to get us fork out twice - grrr!!!!

and they'll prob make us pay again 2 yrs later for a spec ed which involves nothing more than packaging both series & special together, but like fools we will give in and buy it all again.

reminds me of Doctor who dvds which are the stupidest (and most expensive) thing ever...

Anonymous said...

Aha I knew it! I spent the best part of an hour trying to convince my friends that there was a blatent brief encounter reference, but they refused to believe me!

James, do I get an award for spoting it?

Anonymous said...

"Perhaps there could be an award at the convention". Noted, but how to establish who spotted it first.. Any other lines the writers hid away for which we should line up awards? (she asked innocently).

Anonymous said...

kate -
how to establish who spotted it first?

Call it the "First Person To Spot The Brief Encounter Reference And Announce It On An Internet Forum" award.

Can anyone beat pennydreadful (Ch 4 forum) at 2.02pm on 23.5.06?

Anonymous said...

No I think that pennydreadful wins that one, very clever girl. If someone else can prove that they were first we'd love to hear from them! (nice reference by the way, David Lean's masterpiece). Now if you've managed to work a 'A Matter of Life and Death' reference into the finale you will forever have my undying love and respect.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to ask about the convention. I didn't realise there was one. Is there any information on line?

Anonymous said...

If anyone hasn't seen brief encounter, go forth and rent it out now! It's a masterpiece!

the triple T said...

...I just bought one of those overpriced Dr. Who DVDs (from HMV), as a practice run for the GW box set. See, it says 19.35, which is actually a really good price---in dollars.

Should I be worried?

Anonymous said...

In a vaguely celeb spotting/stalking way, Karl Theobald was having lunch in swanky Soho House yesterday. He clearly has a much better ability than Martin to pick clothes.
I wanted to go over and say 'so, er, what happens in 5 mths then?' but didn't. Instead I was satisfied with telling everyone at my table that's who he was. They looked blankly at me. Heathens.

Anonymous said...

American fan of GreenWing here....as much as I LOVED first season, I have to say second season has been even better!!! One of the top shows ever and never fails to make me laugh out-loud. Looking forward to the final 9th episode at christmas.

Since the dvd issue was addressed in the blog - any idea when a R1 dvd of season one will be released in the U.S.??? Can't wait to share it with all my friends.

Anonymous said...

Pickletastic -

I spotted the reference on Fri May 19 2006 18:43:01 ... no idea if that beats pennydreadful - can i have a runner's up nerd badge?!

You didn't spot it! You only got the visual reference (easy peasy). Here's what you said about the actual line:


i can't be happy about schizophrenic caroline (what was that stuff she mumbled about lying? she is bizarre)

Anonymous said...

Hi James
Have you signed any of the items that Billy Sneddon has up for the charity sale on e-bay? Alternatively, do you have anything you want to sell, like a well-worn X-Men t-shirt or an episode 9 script that's just lying about.

It would go to a good cause... Even though I'm sure that satisfying my curiosity is not as worthy as what Mr Sneddon is doing - even if all the different ep 9 theories are hurting my head.

Anonymous said...

Me, me, me! I can be trusted, almost implicitly. And, if I win the bid, I promise not to write a Carly Simon-esque song about it.

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, but what about Toy Fu?

James Henry said...

Hmm, it's about time I brought that back, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I think it is time, Young Master Henry.

The spiders would have been building up.

Anonymous said...

Oooo yes more Toy Fu!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to be all stalkery (real word?) but please tell me what are the Green Wing cast like? Thank you.

James Henry said...

Arseholes to a man. I hate them with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps there could be an award at the convention.

There's a convention? Where? When?

I'm up for it. :)

Cheers
Sesa